Renewal payment options

Just as with real property and business personal property, ad valorem taxes are paid annually on motor vehicles. These taxes are collected when a vehicle is registered and thereafter on an annual schedule determined by the owner’s last name. View the renewal schedule here. Ad valorem taxes on vehicles are delinquent and subject to penalty and interest on the first day of the month following an owner’s
renewal month.

Payment Methods

In Person

At the Cullman County Courthouse. The Revenue Commission Tag Department is located in Room 103. Payment forms include cash, credit or debit card, cashier’s check or money order, or personal check.

By Mail

When mailed by the 20th of the renewal month. Mailed payments may be made via check, cashier’s check, or money order. Please note: a $2.00 mail fee applies.

Barry Willingham
Revenue Commissioner
P.O. Box 2220
Cullman, AL 35056-2220


Via this website. Please note: a small transaction fee applies. The online payment feature allows you to pay using your credit card or debit card. Click here to begin.

Please note that a small transaction (convenience) fee is charged for credit or debit card transactions and is paid to the financial service provider for management of credit and debit collections; in other words, the County does not receive any portion of the transaction fee.

All purchased vehicles must be registered within 20 calendar days of purchase to avoid penalty. Alabama law requires all license plates to follow an owner, not the vehicle (except vintage vehicle tags). When an owner sells his or her vehicle, it is the owner’s responsibility to remove the tag from the vehicle, and then when a replacement vehicle is purchased, the owner is responsible for transferring that tag to the new vehicle within 20 days of purchase. **If an owner fails to remove a tag from a vehicle that he or she sells or trades during the current registration year, then the owner must purchase a new tag; a replacement tag cannot be issued.**

Motor vehicle owners may be entitled to a pro rata credit for the taxes paid for the remainder of their current tax year if their vehicles are sold, traded, or reassigned. If one of these instances apply, owners may bring their supporting documents to the Revenue Commission Tag Department and apply for a tax credit voucher within one year.

New Alabama residents are required to transfer out-of-state driver licenses within 30 days of moving to Alabama. Prior to registration, owners may be required to provide their Alabama driver’s licenses or Alabama-issued identification cards and other supporting documents to prove legal residency in
this County.